- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has formulated the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM) with the aim to provide the necessary support for integration of digital health infrastructure in the country.
- This visionary initiative, stemming from the National Health Policy, 2017 intends to digitize healthcare in India.
- National Health Authority (NHA) has been entrusted with the role of designing strategy, building technological infrastructure and implementation of “National Digital Health Mission”.
- NHA is also apex body for implementation of Ayushman Bharat- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana”(AB-PMJAY).
- The NDHM is a collaborative initiative between many ministries/departments.
- Its vision is to create a national digital health ecosystem that supports universal health coverage in an efficient, accessible, inclusive, affordable, timely and safe manner and a seamless online platform through the provision of a wide range of data, information and infrastructure services, duly leveraging open, interoperable, standards-based digital systems, and ensures the security, confidentiality and privacy of health-related personal information.
(PIB, The Hindu)